Designed by Army Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs in 1881 and constructed between 1882 and 1887 the Pension Building housed the U.S. Pension Bureau a Federal agency created to award pensions to Union veterans. Now acknowledged as an engineering marvel the Pension Building became the National Building Museum in 1980. The museum now serves as Americas premier cultural institution dedicated to exploring and celebrating architecture design engineering construction and urban planning. In the 1980s Grunley performed four projects within the museum. Grunleys work included Removal and replacement of the entire roof decking system and roof replacement Complete exterior window replacement New elevator systems Clean and tuck-point of the exterior Repair the exterior frieze and terra cotta modillions Restoration of the Great Hall Work in the Great Hall included the faux painting of the Corinthian columns which are among the tallest in the world measuring 75high 8in diameter and 25in circumference. The scope required the installation of 244 busts that fill the niches above the center court. This portion of the project required complete scaffolding throughout the Hall. Repairs included new lighting systems throughout the Hall as well as ornamental plaster stone and painting. NATIONAL BUILDING MUSEUM - THE PENSION BUILDING RENOVATIONS Washington DC OWNER U.S. General Services Administration DATE OF AWARD 1980 COMPLETION DATE 1984 CONTRACT AMOUNT 9.9M ARCHITECT Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture Engineering P.C.